Thursday, January 15, 2009

1/15/09

Just playing around this afternoon with my 50 1.8 lens trying to master manual focus (my 50 mm won't autofocus on my Nikon D40 camera). It is not so easy to manual focus with little ones! Does it look terribly OOF? I wish I wouldn't have cut her chin off. I also wish I would have set CWB (which I have been trying to do lately) since the walls in her room are purple.
Settings:
aperture: 2.8
shutter speed: 1/8 second
ISO: 200
focal length: 50 mm
Any pointers would be much appreciated. TIA. It's pretty much SOOC, just an unsharp mask filter.

18 comments:

  1. It is a bit oof not too bad. You need to up your shutter to at least 100/125. Such a cutie. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so sweet. I agree with Jeanette about the oof and shutter speed. Maybe you should have bumped up your ISO a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean you're using the manual settings on your camera -- where you set the shutter speed, ISO and aperture? The only time I use manual focus is with my macro lens...and not even all the time. Otherwise, it's set on auto focus.

    Looking at your settings, I would say you need to bump up your shutter speed. Like the others said, you should try to raise your shutter speed to at least 100 or 125 when doing portraits of little ones.

    It looks like the focus fell on her crown, not on her face.

    She's a cutie, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks like you had camera shake maybe a tad bit?! it doesn't look bad though and is such a great picture of her!
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did great for having to manually focus this. Bumping the iso up to about 400 so you can bring up the SS and APP will really help. Its a super sweet pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a cutie! I would say that you probably need to up the shutter speed. It is so hard to manual focus to. Thanks for sharing.
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you didn't use CWB? Well it looks great. I think your focus looks pretty good and I'm sure it's not easy to MF with kids, way to go for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable! I don't have much CC for you as I'm learning myself but one piece of advice for both of us is "Practice makes perfect" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks pretty good. I would never try to manual focus on my kids. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's manual? You did great with moving kids! Love the little princess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree...focus looks good for having to manually focus. Also, with the 50mm lens you could probably get away with have your shutter at 1/80 if you practice really steadying yourself. That is a bummer about the D40 not allowing the autofocus to work...ugh!
    you can do a lot for the color casts using the color balance and layer masks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats got to be tough that it doesnt auto focus. Cute shot of your princess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, the D40 doesn't have that internal focus motor for the older lenses. You did a good job, and as others mentioned, the shutter speed is what caused the slight blur. I always have to steady myself against a wall or chair. Still an adorable picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. manual focus with fast moving kids is tough! Great job trying. These days my indoor shots (without flash) are with an ISO of about 400 since we've had so many cloudy days lately. Try bumping up your ISO and then increasing the shutter speed to eliminate some of the handheld shutter shake. She is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll receive that lens shortly, so was interested in reading the comments! I like this picture, she's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Manual focus is not easy so I think you did great, especially with such a low shutter speed. If you up it a bit, it will be great. She is a dol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks good a little oof I agree with the others.

    There is no way I'd be able to manual focus on my boys...nope nada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I increased the size of the picture and it doesn't look like anything is in sharp focus, but not due to the focusing (I don't think) but due to how slow your shutter speed was. I would have made sure my SS was at least 1/100th of a second. In order to do that you'd need to increase your ISO (200 really is only suitable for outdoor photos or indoors with a flash) and also move her to somewhere with better light.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!