Monday, May 25, 2009

5/25/09

Happy Memorial Day! I have always enjoyed this holiday and as a young girl spent every Memorial Day at the cemetery with Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Wayne and Aunt Rulu, Mom and Dad, Ben and then later Courtney and Bailey. Sometimes aunts or cousins would join us. Grandma and Aunt Rulu (my great aunt) would clean all the headstones, prune around the graves, and Grandpa and Uncle Wayne would unload huge buckets of flowers out of the trunks of their Cadillacs. I would help place the flowers on the graves of my great-Grandparents and great aunts and uncles. I learned a lot about my family history on these blistery, windy days. I definitely have a lot of Memorial Day memories.

Life is different now, we live over 5 hours away from that cemetery. Our Memorial Day included going out to lunch, going to the nursery, stopping at the flag park so I could get a picture, planting bushes in the backyard, going to the park and then having a BBQ at home. I was touched though when Jeff sat down and explained to Mylie about Memorial Day and told her how 3 of her great-Grandpas fought in WWII. Of course a lot of that was over her 4 year old head, but since I'm typically the more sentimental one about things like this, I found it so sweet that Jeff would explain it to her.

6 comments:

  1. That is a great picture of all those flags flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great day! Great shot of the flags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shot of the flags. Great POV on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of the flags! very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flags. Loved hearing about how you spend Memorial Day when you were a kid, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome picture! I think it is great that you really teach your daughter about the meaning too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!